Fresh asparagus is one of the tastiest parts of the early spring garden. With tender stalks shooting forth from the ground, it’s no wonder that they’ve become one of my family’s favorite vegetables. And grilling asparagus is hands down one of the easiest ways to prepare it. And learning how to grill asparagus is quick and easy!
One of the reasons that I love grilling fresh asparagus (or anything really) is there are fewer dishes to wash at the end of the night. When spring arrives with warmer weather, we are grilling everything we can in order to avoid using the kitchen. Fresh salads, like our Strawberry Spinach Salad with Spiced Pecans, are another spring no-hot-kitchen favorite. Later in the summer, easy grilled okra is on the menu as the okra pods start rolling in.
Asparagus is an incredibly tender spring vegetable and over the years I’ve heard different things about the size of asparagus to use for recipes. Those thin, skinny asparagus are not what you want for grilling. In fact, those small asparagus spears are best eaten raw. Asparagus will cook very quickly, whether you blanch, oven roast, or grill. So, the smaller the asparagus spear, the faster they cook. For grilling asparagus (or oven roasting if that’s your preference), choose thicker asparagus that are about the size of your pointer finger or larger. I never imagined I would be taking a picture of my finger along with an asparagus stalk, but I really want you to know the best way to grill asparagus, and that begins with good-sized asparagus stalks.
Ingredients for Grilled Asparagus
1 bunch fresh asparagus
How to Make Grilled Asparagus
- Begin by preheating the gas grill to medium high heat. (You’re aiming for around 450 degrees on your grill’s thermometer.) Then wash the fresh asparagus and cut off the woody stems at the bottom of each stalk. Do this with a good sharp knife on a cutting board. Place cut asparagus on a clean plate.
- Season asparagus with a good drizzle of oil all over. This will probably be several tablespoons. Then season asparagus with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Once grill is hot, take asparagus and place it directly on the grill rack in a single layer. Asparagus will cook quickly, so grill from 3-4 minutes on one side, then roll over for another 3 minutes. Sometimes the oil can cause the flames to kick up and lick the asparagus. I actually don’t mind this and find the bit of charring a bonus.
- Finally, bring your grilled asparagus inside on a plate and squeeze lemon juice to taste on your freshly grilled vegetables. Serve immediately.
Other Seasoning to Use on Asparagus for the Grill
- Cumin and chili powder for a smoky, southwestern flavor (omit lemon)
- Fresh, chopped thyme on top of asparagus
- Onion slices grilled alongside the asparagus and served together.
How to Grill Asparagus
This recipe is quick and easy. This spring vegetable is the perfect side dish for any of your spring and summer meals, and there’s less clean up!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
I’d love to know if you tried this asparagus recipe at home and any variations that worked for you. It’s definitely an easy vegetable to get cooking on the grill, just take care to not overcook them. Nobody like squishy asparagus. Have a great week!
- 1 bunch fresh Asparagus
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Mineral or Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 lemon
- Begin by preheating your grill to a medium-high temperature (around 450 degrees). Cut the tough ends off of asparagus spears using a sharp knife on a cutting board. Place asparagus on a clean plate.
- Drizzle oil on asparagus and roll around to coat. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on asparagus.
- Place asparagus on hot grill in a single layer. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove asparagus from grill and place on a plate. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve immediately.
If the oil causes the grill to flame up, the asparagus should be okay. It simply gives a nice char!
DRAGONN Premium Set of 12-inch and 9-inch Stainless-Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs, Set of 2 - Sturdy, Heavy Duty Tong Set - Great for Cooking, Grilling, and Barbecue (BBQ)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.