Did that fresh zucchini from the garden go unnoticed a little too long? Well, fear not. You can still use overgrown zucchini from the garden! Save it from the compost pile, and try any number of these recipes with that large marrow/zucchini.
Is large zucchini still edible?
Yes! Overgrown zucchini can definitely still be eaten, and there are many recipes out there that are perfect for big zucchini. From baked goods to savory dishes, large zucchini is super versatile. (Here is my full post on How to Grow Squash and Zucchini if you’d like to grow your own!)
This post may contain affiliate links, which simply means I may earn a commission off of links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my site!
Many recipes for big zucchini to require the seeds to be removed, simply because they are quite large and tough to eat. Check out these suggestions for zucchini recipes and enjoy your overly large harvest!
Zucchini Breads and Baked Goods
- Zucchini Bread Muffins: Whole grain flour and shredded zucchini make these muffins delicious and nutritious for the whole family!
- Zucchini Crisp (Mock Apple Crisp)– I promise this zucchini crisp recipe tastes JUST like apple crisp! It’s the perfect way to use up large zucchini! (Down Red Bud Drive)
- Lemon Zucchini Loaf– This is one of my favorite zucchini bread recipes, and I think you will love this lemon zucchini loaf, too! The lemon makes it taste so fresh and light, plus a creamy glaze on top makes for a perfect loaf. (XOXOBella)
- Zucchini Cheddar Cheese Herb Bread- Zucchini Cheddar Cheese Herb Beer Bread is a great use for large garden zucchinis. An easy savory loaf of bread to make. (Serene Bakes Simply From Scratch)
- Baked Zucchini Donuts with Vanilla Glaze– Love donuts? Make a batch of healthier baked zucchini donuts with vanilla glaze. Moist, flavourful and gluten-free. An easy and delicious way to use up zucchini from your garden! (Satori Design for Living)
Zucchini Main Dishes
- Healthy Spicy Chicken Burgers– These Spicy Chicken Burgers are pan-seared and filled with flavor and zucchini! A healthy alternative to beef burgers! So good you can even eat them without a bun! (Hello Spoonful)
- Cheesy Zucchini Fritters– Cheesy Zucchini Fritters have crispy edges, tender insides and make a great snack or side dish to your lunch or dinner. Kids and adults love these nutritious fritters that can be customized to fit anyone’s tastes. (A Cedar Spoon)
- Zucchini and Ground Turkey Skillet- Zucchini and ground turkey skillet with ginger, green onion, baby spinach, coconut aminos and dried herbs adds up to a super clean dinner recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes! (The Roasted Root)
- Thai Zucchini Boats with Ground Beef– This one’s a bit different! Don’t be stuck eating boring old Zucchini Meatloaf! Here’s a fresh tasty way to eat zucchini boats, inspired by the flavours of Thailand, bacon optional! (Peter’s Food Adventures)
- Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Ricotta– Few things smell as good as a tray of Zucchini Rollatini baking in the oven. Paper thin slices of zucchini are all rolled up, stuffed with a cheesy blend of baby spinach, and ricotta, and dressed with a simple marinara. (Sip and Feast)
- Roasted Courgette Soup with Peas and Basil– This silky roasted courgette soup is packed with flavour, from slow-cooked courgette and garlic blitzed with peas and basil, and finished with ciabatta croutons. (The Veg Space)
Zucchini Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries– Delicious cheesy and tasty zucchini fries that make for a perfect veggie appetizer. Kid approved too! (Rachna Cooks)
- Zucchini Ribbon Salad– Zucchini ribbon salad with fresh mint, lemon and feta. (What a Girl Eats)
- Zucchini Rice Gratin– This French zucchini rice gratin is based on Julia Child’s tian de courgettes au riz, and is a delicious side dish made with fresh summer squash, rice and cheese. (Champagne Tastes)
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Pizza Bites– This healthy zucchini pizza bites recipe, with spicy buffalo chicken added to the mix, is the perfect healthier game day snack that’s low carb. (Food Meanderings)
Zucchini Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies– These zucchini brownies are rich and fudgy with a crinkly top and loaded with shredded zucchini! (Joy, Food, Sunshine)
- Brown Sugar Zapple Crisp– This fun recipe turns summer zucchini into a delicious dessert! The brown sugar crisp tastes so good and it’s just like eating an apple crisp. Top with vanilla ice cream for a perfect summer treat. (Cooking with Carlee)
- Cherry Limeade Popsicle: These cherry limeade popsicles once won a summer desserts recipe competition. The secret ingredient was zucchini! This recipe is the perfect way to sneak zucchini into a recipe when you’re looking for a unique zucchini recipe that isn’t zucchini bread. (Creative Green Living)
Zucchini Jams, Preserves, and Pickles
- Ginger Zucchini Preserves– Oversized zucchini are transformed into delicious preserves with this easy recipe. Perfect on scones or toast or on top of pork or chicken, these preserves are sure to please!
- Refrigerator Zucchini Pickles: Zucchini ribbons, pickling brine, and a day or two in the fridge produce the most amazing quick pickles ever. (Homemade and Yummy)
- Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles- Quick Refrigerator Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles are the perfect way to turn all that extra zucchini in your garden into something delicious. It’s an easy recipe that the entire family will love! (Montana Happy)
- Strawberry Zucchini Jam– This mock strawberry zucchini jam is such a fabulous way to turn your summer squash harvest into something unexpected and delicious. It is quick to put together and fabulous spread over toast or swirled into yogurt. (Cooking with Carlee)
If you have more tasty suggestions for how to use large zucchini from the garden, please feel free to drop a comment below!
Cynthia M Woodman
Friday 30th of July 2021
Thanks for including me! Pinned tweeted and yummed.
Thursday 22nd of July 2021
What a great post. You can never have too many zucchini recipes this time of year. Love the sound of those pickled zucchini ribbons.
Saturday 24th of July 2021
Thanks for stopping by!
Wednesday 21st of July 2021
I have several big zucchini on the counter right now, I can't wait to try a few of these recipes!
Wednesday 21st of July 2021
Thank you for contributing and for stopping by!