If you’re looking for a way to use up kale, then look no further than this easy Kale and Havarti quiche! This delicious cheesy quiche is meatless, but still delicious!
If you’ve been to a brunch, baby shower, or ladies breakfast at any point in your life, then chances are you’ve had (or at least seen) quiche. What I have always considered to be a classic French food (thanks to Julia Child) actually originated in Germany…. was ist das?? Ja, it’s true.
This post may contain affiliate links, which simply means I may earn a commission off of links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my site!
While the French later picked up this tasty dish, the word quiche is actually based on the German word “kuchen” when means cake. And this easy kale and havarti quiche is a crowd pleaser!
Cheesy Kale Quiche
Despite who came up with the initial quiche recipe, I’m simply thankful they did! A traditional/original quiche would have the crust (of course), an egg custard filling, and bacon. Really, there’s nothing wrong with the original recipe, because eggs and bacon make everything betta.
But the great thing about quiche is the versatility it provides. You can pretty much add your favorite ingredients to the egg base and BOOM! you’ve got a winner.
For this particular deep-dish quiche, I wanted to use bright and earthy kale as well as a creamy cheese. The variety of cheeses nowadays is endless. So I tried both cheddar (clearly not creamy, but such a classic) and goat cheese in this recipe, but I ultimately decided on havarti.
The cheddar was my second favorite, since it still gave good cheesiness (I’m positive that’s a word) to the quiche. However, the crumbly texture of the goat cheese made for a drier quiche, and I felt it was lacking.
Gluten-Free Quiche Option
And before I break the recipe down for you, this can definitely be GLUTEN-FREE. Simply go crustless or substitute a traditional crust for 3 cups shredded potatoes (thawed if frozen) and 4 TBSP melted butter combined. Press the buttered potatoes into your pie pan and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Kale and Havarti Quiche Recipe
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and chopped onion, cook for several minutes. Add garlic then chopped kale. Once kale is in the pan, add 1/4 cup of water and immediately cover with lid to lightly steam kale. Once kale is bright green. Remove pan from heat.
- Prepare unbaked deep-dish pie crust. This may mean making your own or pulling one out of the fridge or freezer. No judgement here! (See note above recipe if you need a Gluten-Free option.) Cube up havarti and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add kale and onion mixture and cubed havarti cheese. Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with sliced fruit or a fresh salad.
This quiche is a family favorite that is quick to throw together in the afternoon and have ready for dinner that evening. And it doubles as breakfast the next day! Take your meatless Mondays a step up with this recipe. I’d love to know what type of quiche you love to make!
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie crust
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 8 oz havarti, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Place unbaked pie shell to the side.
- Heat large skillet over medium. Add olive oil and chopped onion to pan. Saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and chopped kale. Add 1/4 cup water to pan and immediately cover with lid to steam kale. Once kale is bright green and slightly wilted, remove pan from heat.
- Cube havarti. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and cubed cheese. Add onion and kale mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean (without runny egg).
- Let quiche cool 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy with fresh fruit or a salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 214mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g