Are you tired of spending a fortune on expensive beauty products that promise a natural glow but deliver lackluster results? Well, get ready to unlock the ultimate beauty hack – a simple and affordable homemade coconut vanilla sugar scrub. No need for harsh chemicals or hefty price tags – just a handful of natural ingredients and a few minutes of your time. Get ready to pamper your skin and experience the transformative power of this easy coconut vanilla sugar scrub recipe!
The best part of this homemade coconut vanilla sugar scrub recipe is you can use different types of sugars (what you already have on hand) and it makes a lovely homemade gift! Give yourself or someone else the gift of a spa day with this delightful exfoliating scrub!
Why Use a Sugar Scrub
Using a sugar scrub may seem like an unnecessary step in your skincare routine, but once you experience the benefits, you’ll realize what a great idea it was to add it to your skincare routine.
First and foremost, a sugar scrub is an excellent exfoliant. It gently removes dead skin cells, revealing fresh and radiant skin underneath. Unlike harsh chemical exfoliators, which can strip away natural oils and cause irritation, a sugar scrub offers a more natural and gentle approach. By buffing away the dull outer layer of skin, it allows moisturizers and other skincare products to penetrate more effectively, maximizing their benefits.
In addition to its exfoliating benefits, a sugar scrub also helps to hydrate and nourish your skin. The natural oils present in the scrub, such as coconut oil in this particular recipe, provide deep hydration, leaving your skin soft and supple. These oils also help to lock in moisture, preventing dryness. I’ve also heard that sugar scrub can also be helpful for ingrown hairs, but I’ve never tried this myself.
Let’s not forget the indulgent and pampering benefits of using sugar scrub. Taking a few minutes to massage the scrub onto your skin provides a self-care ritual that can be both relaxing and invigorating (and cheap!). The sweet scent of vanilla, combined with the luxurious feel of the scrub, creates a spa-like experience in the comfort of your own home.
Gather Your Sugar Scrub Ingredients
Now that you understand the benefits of using a sugar scrub, let’s move on to gathering the ingredients needed for this delightful coconut vanilla sugar scrub recipe. The ingredients are simple and easily found, making it a breeze to whip up this luxurious scrub in no time. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Granulated Sugar: The foundation of any kind of sugar scrub, granulated sugar acts as the exfoliating agent that removes dead skin cells, leaving your skin smooth and glowing.
- Coconut Oil: Known for its incredible moisturizing properties, coconut oil helps to hydrate and nourish your skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple. Look for high-quality, organic coconut oil for the best results.
- Vanilla Extract: Infusing your scrub with the sweet scent of vanilla adds an indulgent touch to your self-care ritual. Opt for pure vanilla extract to fully experience its aromatic richness.
- Essential Oils (Optional): If you’d like to enhance the sensory experience, consider adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Choose a scent that complements the vanilla, such as lavender for relaxation or citrus for an invigorating twist.
- Airtight Container: To store your coconut vanilla sugar scrub and prolong its shelf life, find a clean, airtight container. Mason jars with tight-fitting lids work well and also give your scrub a charming appeal.
With these ingredients, you’re ready to create your own spa-like experience in the comfort of your own home.
This post may contain affiliate links, which simply means I may earn a commission off of links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my site!
Coconut Vanilla Sugar Scrub Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade coconut vanilla sugar body scrub at home:
- 2 cups white sugar (raw cane sugar or turbinado sugar can also be used)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (learn how to make your own vanilla extract at home using vanilla beans!)
- 4 glass 1/4 pint mason jars
How to Make Sugar Scrub at Home
Use these three simple ingredients to make a lovely scrub for the entire body. Be gentle when using on the sensitive skin of the face, but I love this scrub for my hands, especially when gardening season is in full swing and my hands have been in and out of gloves!
- For best results, begin by setting out all of the ingredients within easy reach. In a glass measuring cup, scoop out coconut oil if it’s solid, and warm for 30 seconds in the microwave to return to liquid state.
- Next, measure sugar into medium size bowl. Pour liquid coconut oil on top and stir until combined.
- Add vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Spoon sugar scrub into 4 glass 1/4 pint jars (for gifting) or into a 1 pint jar (to keep for use at home).
How to Use Sugar Scrub
Not sure how to use your coconut vanilla sugar scrub? Or how to tell your friends to use it? I’ve got you covered.
- Before applying the scrub, it is important to cleanse your skin thoroughly. This will ensure that the scrub can penetrate deeply and effectively exfoliate dead skin cells, revealing the fresh, radiant skin beneath.
- Gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel, leaving it slightly damp.
- Now, take a generous amount of the coconut vanilla sugar scrub and apply it to your skin using circular motions. The granulated sugar, combined with the moisturizing oils, will work its magic, sloughing away dead skin cells and leaving your skin soft and supple. Focus on areas that tend to be rougher, such as elbows, knees, and heels, for a more intensive exfoliation.
- Massage the scrub into your skin for about 2-3 minutes using a circular motion, allowing the natural ingredients to nourish and revitalize your skin.
- Once you have thoroughly massaged the scrub into your skin, rinse it off with warm water. You will instantly notice a difference in the texture and appearance of your skin, which will feel smoother and look more radiant.
- Pat your skin dry gently, allowing the moisturizing oils to continue to nourish and hydrate your skin.
- If you notice an oily residue in your bathtub or sink, be sure to clean it well. No one wants to slip in the shower later.
Use as needed in the shower or at the sink for hands. I tend to use coconut vanilla sugar scrub once a week, sometimes more during seasons of dry skin.
Tips for Storing Coconut Sugar Scrub
Storing your homemade coconut vanilla sugar scrub properly is crucial to maintain its quality and extend its shelf life. By taking a few simple steps, you can ensure that this luxurious scrub remains effective and ready to pamper your skin for longer periods.
- First and foremost, it’s important to store your sugar scrub in an airtight container. This will help prevent any moisture or air from seeping in and causing the scrub to spoil or lose its efficacy. Look for containers that are made of glass or plastic with a tight-fitting lid to keep the contents fresh and preserved. I personally use mason jars with the reusable plastic lids.
- Keep your scrub in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Heat and sunlight can accelerate the deterioration of the ingredients, causing the scrub to lose its fragrance and effectiveness. A bathroom cabinet or shelf away from the shower is a great spot to store your scrub.
- Use a spoon or clean fingers to scoop out the sugar scrub, ensuring that the rest of the scrub remains untouched and uncontaminated.
By using these storage and preservation tips, you can keep your homemade coconut vanilla sugar scrub fresh and useful for an extended period. Not only will you continue to enjoy the wonderful benefits it offers, but you’ll also feel satisfied knowing that your skincare routine is elevated to a whole new level.
How long does homemade sugar scrub last?
Homemade body scrub has a shelf life of about six months (if it makes it that long) if it’s stored well. Use the mason jars I recommended above, and the best way would be to consider investing in the plastic lids that won’t rust if constantly exposed to the moisture in the bathroom.
Bonus, those plastic lids come in so handy anytime you want to use a mason jar for storage. We love them!
Looking for more scrub recipes? Check out my recipe for DIY Vanilla Peppermint Scrub for another option for making your own skincare products.
Remember, the benefits of homemade scrubs extend beyond just a brighter complexion – it’s a moment of self-care that nurtures both your skin and soul and saves a lot of money. So, why wait? Start pampering yourself today!