Do you have a budding gardener at home? A dirt loving, seed spilling, can’t-wait-to-be-outside kind of kiddo? Well, do I have a list of outdoor gift ideas just for you! Gardening kids love to be outside, working with their hands, and generally making messes. And all of that dirt digging and worm finding is actually educational! True story. In fact, according to this story from NPR, playing outside helps build a better brain! You may have already guessed that, but it’s always nice to have confirmation.
While the typical outdoor activities of riding bikes, jumping rope, and running around all have benefits of their own, gardening is special. For kids to garden, they need to think about what to plant, where to plant, when to water, and how to harvest. The process of growing can take several months and the hard work they put in will be rewarded with something they can eat! Gardening with kids is fun, educational, and a perfect family activity. So how can you encourage this type of activity in your kids?
Gardening and Outdoor Gifts for Kids
If you know of a small gardener or two who love to grow things, I have a few suggestions for perfect outdoor gifts for them. These gifts are useful any time of year, so don’t feel limited to giving these only in the spring or summer. In fact, one of my picks is a pizza garden that can be grown any time of year! And prices range from my favorite book (only $5) to the ultimate gardener vehicle, a John Deere Gator from Peg Perego.
These outdoor gifts for kids will keep them outside exploring and that’s always a good thing! Have any additions to make to our gift guide? Be sure to comment at the end of the post so everyone can see more great outdoor gift ideas for kids!
Kid Gardener Gift Guide List:
- Mortimer’s First Garden: Of all the children’s gardening books on the market, this is my favorite. Mortimer is a tiny mouse who is able to take a single sunflower seed and grow it into an enormous flower, which produces a wonderful harvest. He must learn about patience and reliance, and it’s a beautiful story.
- Plant a Pizza Garden: I don’t know many kids who don’t love pizza, but even if they turn their nose up at cheese covered dough, then there’s still a chance they’ll love seeing plants grow! This Pizza Garden planter has everything a budding gardener needs to grow all of the pizza basics… no pepperoni though.
- John Deere Wheelbarrow: I know at our house the wheelbarrow is the favorite “tool” of the little gardeners. But it’s usually much too heavy and cumbersome for them to use for very long. This perfect sized wheelbarrow will encourage your little gardener to help haul dirt, leaves, sticks, and toys all around the yard. Get them started helping with yard chores at an early age, and this is the perfect tool for the job!
- Kids Gardening Gloves– Speaking of helping with yard chores, keep your little gardeners hands safe from thorns, ants, and sharp sticks. These gloves come in a set so that if when they lose them, there’s a back up pair. Or if you have multiple kids, split the pack between them. These are a fabulous stocking stuffer!
- Kid Sized Garden Tools– Have you even seen a kid use a full-sized shovel? Don’t stand too closely or you may get a lump on the head. Long handles and heavy ends make most garden tools impractical for kids to use. These kid-sized tools are a great compromise, and they again encourage kids to get out in the yard working in the garden or flower beds.
- Earth Box Jr.- I am a huge fan of all Earth Box products, and their Earth Box Jr. is no different. Earth Box takes the guess work out of planting and watering, and almost guarantees a successful harvest if you follow the directions. The Earth Box Jr is smaller than the original, so it’s perfect for a patio, deck, or any out of the way space that a kid can call his/her own. Most any plants or seeds can be planted in an Earth Box, so for the kids, the sky is the limit! And they can plant new veggies or fruits with each season. (Refill packs for the Earth Box are also available.)
Bigger Gifts for Kid Gardeners
- Peg Perego John Deere Gator– If you really want to wow your little gardener this year, look no further than Peg Perego’s signature ride-on John Deere Gator. With a bed in the back just begging to be filled with dirt and leaves, this may become your child’s favorite toy. My husband wants one in full size, but alas, there’s no need for one in the city. These 12-volt battery powered Gators last much longer than cheaper battery powered toys, and retain resale value well. So even if your child grows out of it in a year or two, there’s a good chance that a well maintained Gator can sell online at a good price. For the best price, let Google do the searching for you. There are always sales to be had!
- Little Tikes Garden Table Play Set– This cute and multi-purpose table will keep the kids entertained while parents or grandparents work outside in the yard. With a basin that holds water and has an easy drain plug, this set is sure to be a hit!
So whether you’re shopping for a birthday, Christmas, or just-because Grandparent gift, these garden-centered toys will keep the kids away from screens and active in the backyard. And as a parent, that’s something I’m always looking for.
Shopping for a grown up gardener? Check out our Ultimate Gardener Gift Guide!