With three kids running around the house and homeschooling consuming the better part of our days, I honestly don’t have much time to decorate for seasons around here. Christmas is the exception because who doesn’t love a Christmas tree?!? One feature of decor that is easy, accessible, and stores flat (big bonus!) is pillow covers. I first delved into seasonal pillow covers last Christmas, and all it took was two white covers and a black Sharpie. I got the idea from Dear Lillie’s post about making them one night with a permanent marker. They’ve lasted two Christmas seasons and store very easily with the rest of the Christmas decorations.
So, onto the Valentine’s decor. I don’t usually put out anything for V-day, except a red heart on the door, but a friend of mine had snagged me a cream linen pillow cover from Ikea, and I knew it would be perfect for a seasonal cover. It was a simple craft, since I just used felt I had leftover from another project. The great thing is that it can be no-sew if you’re in a rush or unable to stitch it together.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 blank pillow cover (Ikea, Michaels, Hobby Lobby all carry them)
Felt (in at least two colors)
Sharpie or fabric pen
Fabric adhesive spray or needle and thread
What to do:
- Iron pillow cover (don’t skip this step, though you may want to); you want to have a smooth surface to work with.
- Fold felt in half and use the Sharpie or fabric pen and freehand draw half a large heart. Don’t worry about an imperfect heart; that’s part of the charm of this project. Cut out with fabric scissors. Repeat this step with another color felt and create different sized hearts.
- Freehand draw letters onto felt and cut out, or find a font you like and print out “love” on card stock. Cut out the word and use as a stencil on your felt.
- Place hearts and word on your pillow cover. Play around with the placement to suit your taste.
- Attach. You can do this one of two ways. Use pins to attach hearts and word to top layer of the pillow (be careful not to grab both pillow sides) and stitch with thread color of choice. (I used pink, so my purple heart would have a contrasting thread.) OR Use Elmer’s fabric adhesive spray to attach each piece. Be sure to put folded newspaper or a piece of cardboard inside your pillow cover if you use the adhesive, so your pillow cover doesn’t stick together. Voila! Instant decor for Valentine’s Day!
When Valentine’s Day is over, simply take it off your pillow and store it flat for next year. Decorating doesn’t get much easier than this!