Do you love to visit botanical gardens, arboretums, and national parks when you’re traveling? So do I, and last year my family had the pleasure to visit the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, Virginia. Let me tell you why you should plan a visit to this lush, fun, and beautiful botanical garden!
Where is the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
The Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a 23-acre botanical garden located in Richmond, Virginia. It’s just off of 1-95, so it’s easy to access if you’re driving through Richmond headed either north or south.
When is the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden open? The Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is open daily from 9am to 5pm with extended hours in the summer on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
It is closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (December 24), and Christmas Day (December 25).
How much are tickets to the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden ? Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden does charge admission, and here are the current rates:
- Adults $14
- Seniors (65+) $11
- Youth (3-12)$8
- Children (under 3) Free
- Military $10
- Members Free
If you live close to the Richmond area, consider becoming a member, which gives you free admission all year long. There is so much to do here, that having an annual membership would be a great idea for families and garden enthusiasts alike!
What can I see at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden?
The Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden has a wide variety of plants and flowers, as well plenty of activities and attractions for kids. Here were some of the highlights:
- Walking trails
- Lewis Ginter Rose Garden
- Cafe and Tea Room
- Fountain Garden
- Splash area (so fun for kids)
- Children’s Garden with Playground
- Japanese Garden
- Orchid House
- Butterfly Atrium (this may have been my favorite part!)
- Beautiful outdoor art exhibits
- Community Kitchen Garden with Apiary
They are also continually having special exhibits and events, so be sure to check out their calendar for all of the latest events!
What should I bring to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens?
You may want to pack:
- sunscreen or chapstick (especially if you are going in the winter)
- water bottle
- some comfortable shoes
- a stroller if you’re bringing children (in case they get tired)
- your phone or a camera
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are dogs allowed at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens? Yes, but only during certain hours and special dog-friendly events. Be sure to check their website more specific times and details.
- Can you bring outside food and drinks into the botanical gardens? No, outside food isn’t allowed, but they do have a cafe on site if you’re feeling snackish or would like to grab a meal. (We did bring granola bars in with us, but didn’t realize this was against the rules… oops!)
- Can you take photos inside the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden? Yes, as long as you’re not attempting a professional photo shoot. If you’re a professional photographer, you’ll need to get permission ahead of time, so be aware of that.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a perfect place to spend a sunny day in Richmond, Virginia. It has so many beautiful plants and flowers, as well as many outdoor activities for visitors (young and mature alike) to enjoy.
They have an extensive collection of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals on display year-round, along with themed gardens. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden also has many educational resources for visitors of all ages to explore and enjoy!
If you’re looking for a serene environment that’s just minutes away from the city center, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is the perfect choice for your next travel adventure.
Friday 27th of August 2021
Looking forward to this series
Saturday 28th of August 2021